Friday, January 16, 2015

Five on Friday

It feels good to be back to (or least trying to be back to!) regularly blogging!  And of course, my favorite post is this one, in which I get to put five randoms together and call it a post!

O     N     E

I know I've talked on here about how hard it has been to get Gil to take a bottle.  Right before we left in December, we were starting to get some success with the Tommee Tippee bottles.  But then Gil got sick and he went back to no bottles.

I had to leave Gil with a babysitter while we were down South (for a rehearsal dinner and a wedding).  So I was desperate to find a bottle he would take!  My dad and I went to Babies R Us one night and found this bottle:


This is the Munchkin Latch bottle.

Y'all.  This bottle is amazing!  I don't know why I really haven't read much about it (maybe it's new?).   But it is a great bottle.  Gil loves it.  If you are struggling with getting your baby to take a bottle, try this one out.  I think you can only buy it in a two pack on Amazon, but Babies R Us sells it individually.


T     W     O

I don't know if I've ever talked about this before, but I love Weight Watchers.  I used it after we got back from Malawi (to lose some of my "I just got married and now I can eat whatever I want" weight). Then I used it when Jack was 8 or 9 months old to lose the rest of the baby weight.  

I am back on it again.  I love WW because it has flexibility.  I can chose to use all of my points on candy (and then be starving the rest of the day!).  Or I can find lots of filling, low point foods.  And I get extra points each week, so I can still go out and get drinks with friends or splurge on a Starbucks drink.

Anyway, this is not meant to be an ad for WW, but just letting y'all know I am doing it again.  I figure this will give me some accountability!  I did great the first week and lost 3 pounds.  I know every week won't be that great, but it's a good start!

T     H     R     E     E

One thing that is helping with my diet is my new cookbook:



I've been reading the Skinnytaste blog for a couple of years now and I've made several of her recipes before.  They have all been really good.

This cookbook is amazing!  I've made about 10 recipes from this cookbook in the last two weeks, and every single one of them was a hit!  I love that the book has a really wide range.  It includes breakfast, soups, sides, sandwiches, desserts, appetizers, meat dishes, and vegetarian dishes.  Also, there is a good range of skill levels.  I made a carrot farrotto which was a little more time intensive.  And then I made some sandwiches which were pretty basic and easy.

I also love that these recipes don't seem like your typical low calorie recipes.  She makes these meals really filling by packing in lots of veggies and lots of herbs and spices. Seriously, everyone should get this cookbook!

Another good way to see Skinnytaste recipes is to follow her on pinterest.  I've been doing that for about a year now, and it makes finding new recipes super easy!


F     O     U     R

Are there any Flavia de Luce fans out there?

Flavia is a character written by Alan Bradley.  She's an 11 year old girl who lives in the English countryside in the early 1950's.  She is a brilliant chemist and she solves mysteries.  And she is hilarious!

I love to read mysteries but I really struggle to find new mysteries to read.  My favorite mystery writer is  Agatha Christie.  She's brilliant, and her books are pretty clean--no gore, no sex, very minimal language.  But most current day mysteries are full of things I have no desire to read about.  Alan Bradley's books are really clean and really clever.

Anyway, the reason I say all of that is that there is a new Flavia book out this month!  I did a two month Audible trial ($1 each month!) so I am going to use my Audible credit to get this book.  If you are looking for a new series to get into, I would suggest the Flavia books!


F     I     V     E

This little guy (isn't he cute?) is going through a major sleep regression.


Ohmylanta!  Wednesday night, he was up EVERY HOUR.  Last night he actually did pretty well (yay for a 5 1/2 hour stretch!), but I am a little worried it's only because he got shots yesterday.  

Plus, he's super sensitive to caffeine, so I can't even get a Diet Dr. Pepper to help me through the day!

He better be thankful that he's so cute.  That's all I have to say

No comments: