Thursday, October 13, 2016

August and September Books

Oh, goodness, it is halfway through October and I am just now getting this list up!  This program is killer, y'all.  There is just so much work!  And when I am not doing homework or classwork, I just want to veg and read or spend time with my boys.  But here we go...


The Lake House



I have mixed feelings about Kate Morton novels.  Obviously, I do like them.  This is my third Morton book to read.  But they aren't short.  I don't mind a long book (I'm looking at you, Atlas Shrugged), but it needs to be worth it.  I do think that some of the narrative could be cut out in these.  The other complaint is that her novels sometimes wrap up a little too neatly.  This book definitely falls into that category. 

But, in spite of those complaints, I do enjoy her stories.  She creates plots and families that I can't get enough of!  I would suggest this book.


Eligible


Well this book has gotten a lot of press this summer, and most of it has been good.  I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't incredible.  It's a modern day retelling of Pride and Prejudice.  Sittenfeld does a good job of trying to stick with the original plot and bring it into modern day situations.  But, if you are an Austen fan, you know that parts of that plot just don't work set in St. Louis.  So parts of it felt forced and unrealistic.  

So, fun, but not a must read.


Truly, Madly, Guilty



Oh, I have been SO looking forward to the new Liane Moriarty book!  I have been on the wait list since May for this book.  It came out late July and I was first on the list!  I actually opted to listen to it instead (my library ordered the audiobook too).  

Listen, if you get the chance to listen to a Moriarty book, do that instead.  Whoever reads her books is just wonderful.  

I really enjoyed this book.  I don't think it's her best book to date, but it was really, really good.  Moriarty always deals with relevant issues, and this book is no exception.


Boys Adrift



I had to read this book for school.  I found it really informative.  It is about the five factors (at least according to the author) that can lead to unmotivated young men, which is a growing issue in the States.


Adolescents at School



Another school read.  This book is probably not interesting to you unless you are a middle or secondary level educator.  But I do want to count it because I read it in August!

Lilac Girls



And yet another WWII book.  Is it just me, or has this past year been the year of WWII books?  I am glad, though, because I think most of them (The Nightingale, All the Light We Cannot See, etc.) are showing us a new perspective.  This book falls right into that category.  

This book tells, for the first time, the story of the Ravensbruck bunnies, the women who were experimented on in a German concentration camp.  It's not my favorite book writing style, but it is incredibly captivating.


Harry Potter and the Cursed Child



I also managed to be pretty high on the list for the new Harry Potter book!  Here's yet another book with mixed reviews, but, I have to say, I really enjoyed this book/play.  Maybe it was just because I got a chance to be back in that world.  

If you are a Harry Potter fan, I would strongly suggest reading this play.  You will enjoy it!


A Ring of Endless Light



I read this book with my literature group, so a bunch of 6th, 7th, and 8th graders.  I have always loved this book.  Vicky Austin is one of my favorite literary characters.  It was really fun to go through this book slowly with my students and think about new aspects of the story.

If you've never read any of Madeleine L'Engle's Austin series, I would highly suggest it.  The books are: Meet the Austins, The Moon by Night, The Young Unicorns, A Ring of Endless Light, and Troubling a Star.  Oh, and two shorter Christmas books.


Return to Sender



Yet another book for school.  I read this book for my ELA (English Language Arts) class.  I have to say, I'm not a huge fan.  

This book has two narrator's, a young boy growing up on a dairy farm in Vermont and the daughter of the illegal alien working on that farm.  I think the story naturally lends to good discussion, but I found the characters and parts of the plot line to be a unrealistic and not relatable.


The Rumor



I love Elin Hildebrand in the summer.  This book came out in late July, but it took me a month to get around to listening to the audiobook.  

What I love about Hildebrand's books is that they are summer reads (so they don't seem like too strenuous of a read), but yet they still have some deep themes and issues.  This book was no exception.  I really enjoyed it!


Before the Fall



I have mentioned on my blog before that I am not a thriller fan.  Gone Girl and Girl on a Train are never going to top my favorites list.  So I actually almost didn't read this book.  It seemed like it would fit into that thriller category.

But I think Before the Fall is to the thriller category what Station Eleven is to dystopian literature.  Yes, this book is technically a thriller.  But there are bigger issues going on, and I really enjoyed the writing and character development (can you tell I'm smack dab in the middle of learning about teaching these things???).  I'm glad I gave this book a chance!


Where'd You Go, Bernadette



Oh, this book was just delightful.  I can't think of better word to describe it.  Thanks to my mother and our shared kindle account, this book just suddenly magically appeared on my kindle account.

This book is funny and suspenseful and just a fun read.  It's told through narrative and dialogue as well as memos, emails, and letters.  Seriously, pick this book up and read it!


Alright, those are my August and September books.  So far in October, I have only read two books, but I'm working on three others! 


No comments: