Wednesday, September 16, 2009

When I was in 8th grade, I had a teacher for math who I loved. I thought he was wonderful. He taught us math, but he also talked to us a lot about other things in life. The summer after 8th grade, it came out that he had, over the course of several years, been molesting teenage boys from our schools. I was devastated. I feel like it was a defining moment in my life, of realizing that people aren't always who you believe them to be, that sometimes your heros have totally screwed up their lives.

I'm not as naive as that anymore, but yesterday was still really hard. Go here to read about it. Pete's first year as a counselor was my second year as a kamper (Barn 4, K-Kountry). I loved Pete and thought he was amazing. It's just hard to realize that he wasn't who I thought he was. So please pray for the boys involved in the investigation. Pray for his wife, Katie, who is wonderful. Pray for his daughter Riley. And pray for the many, many, many kids (and even people my age) who are feeling totally betrayed. I can't even begin to describe the amount of kids who would claim Pete as being someone who impacted their life. I know they are probably going through so many emotions right now. And also pray for Kanakuk. Kanakuk is an amazing place. The fact that Pete was able to do this while working for Kanakuk does not show the kamp as being lax, but rather Pete as being pretty crafty. Because Kanakuk is an amazing place and it changes the lives of so many kids. I don't want parents not to send their kids to kamp because of this (although I know it will be hard as a parent to trust Kanakuk after this).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marley, I'm so sorry to hear that. Pete interviewed me before I went to KCO. The only thing I can say in encouragement is that God can still work through people and that it's only by Grace that we haven't fallen to such or even worse sins. I'm praying for Pete and you!