Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Top 5 Kitchen Items

I love to bake. I like cooking, but I love baking. Anyway, I wanted to share my top 5 things I use in the kitchen...mostly because I can't think of anything else to right about.


5. Mixing bowls with lids. We actually have these pyrexs ones, but I know tons of people have other brands. They are just great because they make storage so easy. Yesterday, I made a coffee sugar cookie. I had to chill the dough, so I put it inside one of these bowls, stuck the top on, and put the whole thing in the fridge...so easy! I don't think these are very expensive at all, and they are sold at Wal-Mart.


4. I have been wanting a Cuisinart food processor for a while, and finally got one through our wedding registry. I love love LOVE mine! A lot of these things seem even better after being in Malawi last year. My favorite thing to make in my food processor is salsa. You just throw in the ingredients and puree. You can also use the grater attachment to grate vegetables and cheese. And you can puree chunky soups. Its kind of like a better version of the blender.
3. Nice knives. We use Wusthof, but I know Shuns and Henckels are really good, too. We actually took our knives to Malawi and were so thankful we did. These were bought via our wedding registry as well. They are amazing. Bech uses them more than I do, but we both love them.
2. My love for my Kitchen Aid has increased so much after not having a mixer at all last year. Bech actually bought this for me for my birthday one year. I know they have tons of fun colors, but my mom has white, so that's what I wanted. Last year, I mixed all of my cookie doughs by hand. I also made meringues several times by hand...not fun at all. But now my mixer does all the hard work.
1. My new favorite thing in the kitchen is the silpat. It's a silicone baking sheet. You stick it on your pan and the pan is instantly ready for baking. Plus, then you just wash the silpat and not the pan. I just got this sheet a few months ago, and I use it at least once a week. I think its about $15 or $20.

3 comments:

Sheryl said...

You have been reading MckMama! I am thinking of making those cookies too!

It was great seeing you guys last month, hopefully you can come visit us soon!

Aunt Sheryl

Courtney said...

I want a kitchen aid mixer! That's what you should tell Max to get me. :)

Holly said...

I am sooo wanting a Kitchen Aid mixer -- but I can't make up my mind about the color, so I can't commit to buying one!