Saturday, October 23, 2010

I have been a bad blogger. But I am a grad student. That will be my excuse. It's probably not a great excuse, cause I found time to watch some "Sister Wives" this week. But it's an excuse I'm going to stick with.

We have had slightly calmer weeks since all of the visitors. But now we have church activities thrown in (which we love, but which adds to the business). We have joined a home group, which meets on Thursday nights. We had a game night with some people from the church last Saturday. A bunch of guys came who we didn't really know yet, so that was fun. Last night we had a sushi feast with Kylar, then he taught us how to play Carcasson (spelling), a fun board game similar to Settlers. Tonight we have a church bonfire, with pumpkin carving!

It is starting to get cold here! It's been mostly in the low 50's, but yesterday it was in the 40's. Also, we had a Nor'Easter last weekend, and it snowed in the mountains! I am hoping for snow soon. From what we've been told, it may come mid to late November.

We have been enjoying all things fall. Bech picked up 5 1/2 gallons of fresh apple cider yesterday from a local orchard, and has just started to make it hard cider. It will take up to a year to ferment/harden. We have eaten TONS of fresh local apples. And for me, it wouldn't be fall without glitter pumpkins!

Last year I got the glitter EVERYWHERE, and Bech almost went insane. So this year, I was very careful. I lay paper down and tried to not spread any glitter. Bech hasn't complained, so I guess I did an okay job.

If you want to make glitter pumpkins, here's how. You need glitter and glue first of all. I suppose you could use whatever glitter you like best, but I suggest going to "Michaels." They have Martha Stewart glitter there in TONS of colors. I bought a red, an orange, and a brown. I also bought their glue, because it comes in a bottle with a brush.

You also need little pumpkins and gourds. You then put glue on the pumpkins, then glitter. And then you can use them as a centerpiece!

Pumpkins in progress:


Finished pumpkins:

We got a set of copper trays for our wedding, and they make great centerpieces!

And as promised, the crazy picture of Bech. I came downstairs the other day, and there he was, watching tv. If you know me from Millsaps, you might recognize my comforter from good ole Bacot. And, that really is how cold our downstairs is right now. I think it's like 58 or 60 degrees. We are trying to not turn the heat on until the end of October. Only eight more days! Our upstairs is warm somehow (I guess just cause heat rises), so it's not like we're sleeping in the cold.

And what would my blog be without a food picture? Here is our yummy lunch last weekend of a blt (with local bread, lettuce, and tomato) and local pumpkin soup that Bech made! Plus it's on a dedza plate from Malawi, which makes me happy and sad!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I totally thought "Bacot comforter!" when I saw the picture of Bech. I completely understand the not wanting to turn on the heat thing. I've already turned mine on. My windows aren't doing too well at keeping the heat in. :P And I'll be there in four weeks from today!!! :)