Monday, November 1, 2010

Since I am brain dead from too much translation, this will be a post of bullet points...

* My dad has been really sick. Like in the ICU sick. And it has been really scary. He has been out of the ICU now for almost 2 days (is that right?), but will be in the hospital until (at the soonest) Tuesday or Wednesday. But he is a lot better. And it has been really hard to be in Vermont through it all. I know, I know, I chose to move to Vermont. But it is so hard to not be able to go to the hospital and see him or bring him a "happy" or a snowcone.
As hard as it was, I thought especially about people in Malawi (and really all missionaries). If I had needed to, I could have gotten a same day flight and been in Mississippi that day. It's not that easy when you live in another country. Flights are expensive and long. It takes at least a day and half to get from Malawi to Mississippi. And I remembered people in Malawi who had sick family members while we were there. It must have been so incredibly hard for them to be so far away, with no short flights home.

* On a lighter note, we had our first snow yesterday! And it was incredibly anti-climatic...

Of course that's not true!!! It was incredibly magical! It snowed for about an hour and a half. The snowflakes were so beautiful. It stuck for the first hour, then started to melt. The ground just isn't cold enough. But soon it will be! It is in the 40's all this week and most of next week. But maybe by the next week, it will snow again and this time stick!

* I am going home in a month and a half...!!! I am so excited! I will be home from the 15th to January 4th. I found a really good price on a ticket ($223--which is a great off season price, and I got it during Christmas time!). Bech can't go home for as long--he'll be home from the 17th to the 27th. But 10 days is a lot, and he is excited, too!
I have a lot of things to do and people to see (and restaurants to eat at, but thats a whole other post!). I just cannot wait to be back in Mississippi! I have missed it so much. And I haven't been to Faith Pres' Christmas Eve service in a few years, so I am especially excited about that!

* I am also excited about Thanksgiving. One of my best friends, Courtney, is flying here from Pittsburgh to spend the week! Courtney and I have always been really good about visiting each other (if we can) wherever the other person lives. I am excited to show her Burlington, watch Gilmore Girls and Bones, bake, and just relax!

* It is now November, so don't be surprised if the blog suddenly becomes Christmas themed. I feel like Christmas is fair game now. I am going to start playing Christmas music this week, too (sorry Bech!). I will wait a couple of more weeks for the decorations, but their entrance isn't too far away!

* That is all I have. Oh, but we haven't turned our heat on yet. Perhaps it is time. The upstairs is still really warm though (I think it's because we are smack dab in between two other apartments who have probably turned on their heat). I am just trying to go without heat for as long as possible!

1 comment:

Michael Price said...

You forgot one thing. November means new derek webb cd. Do you have it yet? I don't--came out 2 days ago and is only available from derekwebb.com
I'll be praying for your dad. I hope he is doing better real soon.