Monday, December 1, 2014

The Advent Season

Today is the first day of Advent.  Yesterday, we lit the first candle at church, the candle of hope.  Tonight, we will start a new family tradition and read from Unwrapping the Greatest Gift.

I can honestly say that I have never entered into an Advent season this weary.  Two years ago was a rough year, but, in some ways, this year has been harder.  I just feel, well, spent. 

I am tired of doctors offices, medical tests, and unknowns.  I am tired of not being able to console a crying baby and of unnecessarily snapping at my three year old.  I am just physically tired and I want a full night of sleep!

I told Bech that I am glad to enter into the Advent season this tired.  Because it makes what Advent is about all the more thrilling and exciting.

A friend shared this link on facebook, and it was medicine for my soul.

"Would we be so filled with joy at his arrival if we weren’t so filled with longing already?
If Christmas is for the joy, then Advent is for the longing."
Advent is for the longing

The longing for a Savior.  

The longing for peace.  

The longing for, as Sally Lloyd-Jones and Tolkien phrase it, 
everything sad to come untrue.

It sounds crazy to say this, but I am glad.  I am glad that because of present circumstances, I can feel this longing, I can celebrate that much more and feel deeply the longing for Christ.  

" A thrill of hope, a weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn!"

"And, one day, when he comes back to rule forever, the mountains and trees will dance and sing for joy!  The earth will shout out loud!  His fame will fill the whole earth--as the waters cover the sea!  Everything sad will come untrue.  Even death is going to die!  And he will wipe away every tear from every eye.  

Yes, the Rescuer will come.  Look for him.  Watch for him.  Wait for him.  
He will come!"

No comments: