Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas is finally here! I am so excited!

I think Christmas is my favorite holiday because of the anticipation and expectations. I don't mean for presents...I mean just the whole feeling of waiting for Christmas Day to arrive. That feeling is such a wonderful reminder of what the Jews (and the rest of the world, even if they didn't realize it) felt as they waited for their Messiah to come. And He did come, on Christmas!

I am in awe each year at how wonderful the whole story of Christmas is. We were promised a Savior, and He came as a baby. This year, I was struck again by Mary being a virgin and pregnant. I am sure everyone thought she was tricking Joseph, that she had slept with another man. But she was really carrying the son of God.

I want to share a couple of line from my favorite Christmas songs:

Come, thou long-expected Jesus,
born to set thy people free;
from our fears and sins release us,
let us find our rest in thee.
Israel's strength and consolation,
hope of all the earth thou art:
dear desire of every nation,
joy of every longing heart.

Sleep baby Jesus
My Father and my child
Beneath this broken cross of sin
Stained with men's denial
And though you now are breathless
With thorns upon your head
Your body has been broken
So your children can be fed
(this one is from a Bebo Norman song that I love, "Mary's Prayer."




Merry Christmas from Bech and me!

No comments: