Thursday, June 24, 2010

1 year ago...

One year ago yesterday, we left Malawi. I cannot even believe that we have been home for almost a year. Maybe this seems silly to anyone reading this post, because we were only in Malawi for 11 months. But it really does change you. And I hope that I have held fast to my memories.

One thing Bech and I talked a lot about before we left last year was these changes. We didn't want to get back to America (where you can pretty much have whatever you want whenever you want it, where you can avoid poverty if you want, where you can seclude yourself from community), and fall right back into American life. And it is definitely hard. It is so easy to just think of Malawi as a fun adventure and simply go back to "normal life."

Hopefully we have changed somewhat. We are definitely much more deliberate about what we buy and where we buy it. I by nature am a stingy person, but I have become (at least somewhat) more generous.

But there are things I still want to change. I want to be much more generous with my money and time. I want to be a stronger prayer, especially for missions and missionaries.

And I want to go back to Africa, maybe not long term but at least visits. I don't know if this one will ever happen. I want, very strongly, and also feel called to be a Classics Professor. There is not much of a need for Latin and Greek in Africa. Of course, there is some, but it's obviously not the same as the need for doctors, nurses, teachers, etc.

But I know that God's plans are a lot bigger than mine, so we will just have to wait and see!

2 comments:

steveandcaryn said...

It's not silly at all! It's been 7 years since I left Malawi and I also only lived there 11 months. I still think about it on a daily basis and it does affect my daily living and thoughts about the world around me. You will keep those memories forever!!

tyler said...

A Praying Life- by Paul Marshall