Sunday, January 20, 2013

Life Lately

We have had a nice, laid back weekend around here.  We had friends over to eat Friday night, I organized all day Saturday, we watched a movie last night, and today was church and lunch with family.  I love weekends like this!

Unfortunately, I have school tomorrow.  The students won't be there, but we have in-service training.  Then a full week of school after that.  Only three more weeks until Mardi Gras break!  Yes, you read that right.  Mardi Gras break.  Apparently the wonderful people in Louisiana believe in taking a week off for Mardi Gras.  And I am NOT going to complain.

Anyway, here are a few random thoughts/updates...

* Seeing as it's Mardi Gras season, I have had a student bring a King Cake almost every single day for the past two weeks.  NOT good for my goal of losing weight!

*  Did you know that King cakes have different flavors?  I didn't!  In Mississippi, I grew up just eating cinnamon flavor.  But there are TONS of flavors--cream cheese, bavarian creme, eclair, strawberry, blueberry.

*  But don't get blueberry!  I got blueberry flavored King Cake for my 7th grade advisory group (10 7th grade boys that I meet with once a week).  They said, "Oh, we can tell you aren't from Louisiana!"  Apparently, blueberry is a "weird" flavor.  Really?  And Bavarian Creme isn't?

*  Did anyone see "Parks and Rec" this week?  They were playing Settlers of Catan!  It made my day.  My favorite show and my favorite game.  Perfect.

* Bech and I have a running joke about my Redbox/Netflix movie choices.  I always manage to suggest the worst movies.  I redeemed myself by choosing Beasts of the Southern Wild.  And then I ruined it again with my choice of To Rome With Love.  We were definitely not fans. 

I hope y'all all have a wonderful week.  I still need to post about the Mardi Gras ball...I'll do that soon!

1 comment:

Susannah said...

Mardi Gras break?!?!? That sounds fabulous!