Thursday, February 2, 2012

Tagged!

I got tagged for an About Me post by Callie from "Through Clouded Glass."  I started reading her blog a few months ago because she has a super cute little boy a little older than Jack.

So first I am supposed to answer her questions, then give my own questions out to girls I tag.  Here we go...

1. If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your life, what would it be? 
Ohhh...this is a hard one.  I am tempted to say an Andrew Peterson or Derek Webb cd, but I think I'm going to go with Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue."  You can't go wrong with that cd.

2. If you were a teacher, what subject would you teach?
Latin and Greek, of course!  But I also love English (both the grammar and the literature).

3. What is your favorite verse and/or quote?
I have lots of favorite verses, so I think I'll share my favorite quote instead. It's from G.K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy, which is one of my favorite books:

“Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, 'Do it again'; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, 'Do it again' to the sun; and every evening, 'Do it again' to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we.” 

I love thinking about the sunrise this way, as if every morning God is delighting in His creation! 

4. Why did you start blogging?
Bech and I spent the second year of our marriage in Lilongwe, Malawi, working with African Bible College.  I started this blog as a way to keep folks stateside up to date with what we were doing.  Back in those days, Bech actually posted a few times.  But it quickly became my own thing.  I kept it up after we got back  because I loved having a "digital scrapbook."

5. What is one book you think everyone should read (besides the Bible, because that's a given)?
I would love to say Chronicles of Narnia, but, honestly, I feel like that should be a given, too.  So I am going to go with Orthodoxy or Mere Christianity (C. S. Lewis).

6. Favorite drink to get at Starbucks?
I am off caffeine right now (it wakes Jack up!).  But if not, a white chocolate mocha!

7. Would you rather it snow or rain?
Before Vermont, I would have said snow, but now, I would prefer rain.  I would especially prefer some Malawi rain!

8. Advice that your mom gave you that you never forgot?
"Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?"  My mom is very wise, but this is seriously the best piece of advice ever.  When Bech and I are upset at each other and I want to not apologize because I think I am right, I remember this!

9. Most read website or blog?
Website: Perseus--It's a classics website with all of the texts and translations. 
Blog:  I am a sucker for Kelly's Korner

10. One thing you would tell your 13 year old self?
To be more confident!  I was always so unsure of myself.  But I should have just enjoyed being a teenager more. 

11. What do you hope people will say about you after you die?
"She loved Jesus and people."  What more could I want to be said?


Alright, I tag:

Danica, at "American Honey"
Catherine, at "The Daily Sledge"
Mary Melinda, at "Glimpse"

And here are my questions:

1.  "Saved by the Bell" vs. "Family Matters"--which one is better?  Why?
2.  What is your favorite gift you have ever been given?
3. If you could have one talent, what would it be?
4.  What song reminds you of your teen years?
5. If you could take a vacation to anywhere in the world, where would it be?
6.  You have a Friday night at home all to yourself...what do you do?
7. If you could choose to be born into another culture, which one would it be?  Why?
8. What is the worst advice you have ever been given?
9.  Whose story from the Bible do you most connect with?
10. What is your favorite hymn?
11. If money were no object, who would you like to give a gift to?  What gift?


I hope y'all play along! 

1 comment:

Callie said...

I loved reading your answers, Narkey! I like that quote too. It's a cool thought! And that advice from your mom is great too - I haven't heard that before, but it's such a good point!