Saturday, August 4, 2012

What I've been reading lately...

We are selling my laptop (we have a desktop and I am given a laptop for work, so we really don't need another laptop).  I am cleaning off any files/pictures/bookmarks, and I found a few links to some good articles I never shared.  So here goes...

* "Why I'm Not Going to Chick-Fil-A Today"

A guy I went to Jr. High wrote this blog post.  I actually shared it on my facebook wall, because it was one of the only posts I've read about the whole issue that I've really, for the most part, agreed with.

Look, I'm not saying that I think the US government should be able to take away freedom of speech.  But what I don't understand is why the Church is responding to this situation with this attitude.  We can fight for our freedoms without being in your face, posting CFA pics on facebook and angry statuses.  In the public eye, Christians need to be concerned with loving others.  Not loving others to the exclusion of our rights, not loving others to the exclusion of staying true to the Bible, to God's commands--but loving others by not being antagonistic.  And I'm going to be honest and a lot of people may disagree with me, but I think that the motives of many CFA restaurant goers on Wednesday were definitely antagonistic and "stick it to the man."

That being said, I do still love CFA and will still eat there.  Just not on August 1st!

* "The Sovereign God of 'Elfland' (Why Chesterton's Anti-Calvinism Doesn't Put Me Off)"

 I love G. K. Chesterton (and especially Orthodoxy, which this article talks about).  I also love Lewis.  Both men are not Calvinist, which I am, but I relate so much more to them than to most Calvinist writers.  I really loved this article!

"I thank God for G. K. Chesterton. His gift for seeing the world and for saying what he sees is peerless. He opens my eyes to wonders of what is there. And what is there is the finger-work of God. He may be dismayed to hear it, but his eyes have helped me see more clearly than ever the God of Jonathan Edwards."

* "Why Do We Love C. S. Lewis and Hate Rob Bell"

Really good read!  I would encourage everyone to check it out.  My favorite paragraph:

"You see, while C.S. Lewis has a great deal of theological foibles, his ministry is defined by a defense of the essence of the Gospel. The essence of who Christ is and what he did are ardently upheld by Lewis, saturating every page of his books. His purpose was clear: to make a compelling case the reality of God and the Lordship of Jesus Christ. All other things set aside, this is what you leave with every time you read Lewis. The problematic areas are peripheral, not central. One has to look hard to find the departures from traditional Protestant Christianity. They are not the subjects of his works and do not form the titles of his books."


There you go!

No comments: