Saturday, January 14, 2012

Religion vs. Jesus

I am sure most of y'all have seen this video by now. It has been all over facebook. If you haven't, take a few minutes to check it out.



I think Jefferson (the guy from the video) has a lot of great things to say.  And I think that if I were to sit down and talk about this video with him, we would agree on most everything.

But I worry a lot with this video becoming so popular.  Because, the reality is that Jesus doesn't hate religion and didn't come to abolish it.  Matthew 5:17 says, " Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets.  I did not come to abolish but to fulfill."  And I think Jefferson is using the word "religion" to mean self-righteousness and hypocrites.  But that's not religion means.

I worry that this video is going to be a catalyst against the Church, which some viewers might find synonymous with religion.  And, as Christians, we are supposed to be actively a part of the Church.  Derek Webb said, "If you divorce local community from the Gospel, then it ceases to be the Gospel.  There is no other context for your faith as a Christian than to be in community with other people."  As Christians we are called to love and invest in the Church!

Also, while faith is not based on works, faith produces works.  This is such a fine line, one that churches, denominations, theologians, and, well, every Christian out there struggles with all of the time!  We don't need to stress works too much, but, at the same time, the Bible is clear that faith without works is dead.  I don't think Jefferson believes that you can be a Christian and not produce works, but I think viewers might take it that way.

I would encourage you all to read this article.  Kevin DeYoung addresses this video stanza by stanza, and I love what he has to say about it.

Have y'all seen the video?  Any thoughts?


*Edit:  Check out this follow up to Kevin's article!*

1 comment:

Callie said...

I completely agree with your views on this video - I have the same problems with it! I also found this article, which says alot of the same things that you did as well.

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2012/01/13/does-jesus-hate-religion-kinda-sorta-not-really/

I think "religion" is the wrong word, and he didn't address that if you do choose to follow Jesus a change in behavior should follow. I feel it could be confusing or misleading to unbelievers, so I'm not crazy about it.