Monday, October 31, 2011

Reformation Day


 On this day in 1517, Martin Luther wrote what is known known as "The 95 Theses."  Although he wasn't intending to, he started the Protestant Reformation.

I don't celebrate Halloween, but I do celebrate Reformation Day (which just so happens to also be on October 31st).


My favorite Luther quote is from when Luther stood before the Diet of Worms:

"Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scriptures or by clear reason (for I do not trust either in the pope or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves), I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. Here I stand, I can do no other.  May God help me. Amen."


And another favorite:
“So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!”

Happy Reformation Day!!!

No comments: