Friday, March 30, 2012

End of the week thoughts...

This has been a crazy week and I am glad for it to end!  I know I said that things would finally be calming down around here, but I guess I was wrong.

We have had the normal things, homework, bible study, CA duties.  Plus, we have two events this Saturday night (we are going to have to split up to fulfill commitments).   Plus, I signed on to work extra hours at the library this week (to try to make up for missing work for Latin Day and Boston).

I would love some baby advice/thoughts.  Jack normally sleeps from 7:30/7:45 until 7 a.m.  Sometimes he wakes up a little earlier (6:30/6:45) if he hears me getting up, taking a shower, etc.  But the past week or so, he has been waking up at 5:30.  We can usually get him to fall back asleep for another fourty five minutes, but then at 6:15, he's up and crying.  So I've been feeding him early, which is fine, but I don't know if that's really the problem.  I honestly don't know what the problem is...daylight savings?  hunger?  teething?

So has anyone had any problems with this?  My big fear is that I am not producing enough food to keep him full all night...could that be possible?

3 comments:

Ashley said...

This sounds crazy and counter intuitive but I've seen it work. Sometimes moving bedtime up (like to 7:00 instead of 7:30) makes them sleep later.
That's usually something to try if it goes on longer than a week or two. He may just be teething and will go back to sleeping normally after a few days. You could also try a blackout curtain or a noise machine (if you don't already have one) so that he's less likely to be disturbed in the morning if it is something outside.
In general, I've seen them go back to normal within two weeks. It usually comes down to a growth spurt and being more hungry or teething.

Callie said...

It might just be a growth spurt. Wyatt started doing that too around ten months, and he was on the same schedule as Jack. And to be honest, he is still doing it. I think ten hours is about his max before he needs something to eat - we've moved his bedtime back to 8:00 and he started doing better again. Usually though I just feed him around five and he goes right back to sleep for another four hours, and I don't mind that at all so I haven't been too worried about changing it - if he doesn't eat at five he's up for the day around 7:00 of so, which is fine but it's nice to have him sleep until nine. It does replace a morning nap when he sleeps that late, but it also means I can sleep in if I want, so we're kind of sticking with that! Try tweaking his bedtime and see if it changes anything - I think they get to a point where the schedule needs adjusting, when they start sleeping less.

The Robbins & Co said...

lots of good advice here...as you can see, it could be a number of things and each baby is different. as far as sleep goes, it may mean he needs to transition out of a nap or moving his nap times just by 30 minutes.

babies are so stinkin' mysterious! drives me nuts!!