Monday, April 9, 2012

What I'm reading lately...

I have seen a few other bloggers do this lately, so I thought I would join the trend.  I am going to link to a few articles and posts that I have enjoyed.


Love!  I wish I knew (and believed) all of these things when I was a teenage girl.  A must read.


This was an article in the Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper at Ole Miss...sweet and cute!


I thought this article was a great take on the whole Kony facebook sensation. 

 "I believe that the impulse to help in the face of tragedy is a good impulse – I think wisdom and research are important, but I don’t think a burning desire to help should be squelched by fear of being called out for white privilege or liberalism. I know many people felt an impulse to help in the immediacy just following the earthquake in Haiti, and Kony 2012 is creating that similar passion in people.  However, I would encourage you to watch Kony 2012, get mad at the injustice, and then ask yourself:

What do I have, and how and where should it be used?

Maybe the capture of Joseph Kony won’t be your mission.  Maybe it will be women’s rights or family preservation or orphan care or human trafficking or access to education.  But maybe, like me, a film made by Invisible Children will inspire you into figuring out what cause you will take up, and what gifts you have to help others."



Another article about the South!  This one is so good.  I read it in the library and almost starting crying behind the front desk--can you tell I'm ready to be back home?

"When you are born into a history as loaded as the South’s, when you carry in your bones the incontrovertible knowledge of man’s violence and limitations, daring to stay sweet is about the most radical thing you can do."


Alright, let me be totally dorky for a minute here.  One of the classics professors at UVM has started a Classics Ryan Gosling meme.  Good way to practice Latin and  look at Ryan Gosling!


Our new friend, Jean Luc, posted this link on facebook.  He is amazing with words!

No comments: